In recent summer conference, SAEA members discussed the topic of construction contracts and code compliance by examining risk shifting in the engineering construction industry: the economic impact of a contract is to shift or allocate risk.
The group reviewed eight types of construction contracts as presented by the founding member and civil engineer Omar Abdelrazzak:
- Cost-plus construction contract
- Design and build contract
- Guaranteed maximum price contract
- Incentive construction contract
- Integrated project delivery contract
- Lump-sum contract
- Time and materials contract
- Unit price contract
Eng. Abdelrazzak went on to suggest best practices for well-written construction contracts and code compliance and the importance of such care and effort to the success of any construction project whether in the US, Syria, or elsewhere in the world.